Earth masonry is the one of the oldest and most widespread building materials. Though technologically simple, it can produce a durable architecture of considerable artistic sophistication, and buildings that are appropriate to their climate and suited to a wide range of uses. A timeless construction material, earth brick has an important technical role to play in the current exciting phase in the development of ecological architectural technology. Humidity control, low embodied carbon and near zero waste are key characteristics of earth buildings, but all involved in design, construction and use of buildings need guidance on using this unfamiliar material in the modern construction industry.
This book fills in the considerable gaps in our understanding of earth masonry, with a factual account of technical, design and construction issues. It also explores the cultural background to earth masonry, with an enthusiasm for the subject born of conviction for its potential, even for sizeable projects. It gives technical details as well as practical guidance and is extensively illustrated.
- Foreword, Preface, Acknowledgements. Scope and structure. List of Illustrations. Glossary
- INTRODUCTION What is earth masonry? Why use earth masonry? A brief history of earth masonry. Practical advantages and disadvantages
- CONSIDERATIONS Appropriate applications. Earth masonry in a construction process. Codes, testing and building standards. Compliance with UK building standards
- MATERIALS FOR EARTH MASONRY Raw materials. Bricks and blocks. Mortars. Plasters. Paints and other coatings
- DETAILED DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS Appearance. Structural design. Shrinkage and thermal movement. Moisture. Thermal characteristics. Acoustic characteristics. Performance in fire. Design for durability. Typical design details
- BUILDING EARTH MASONRY Keeping people informed. Transportation, delivery and storage. Building walls. Plastering. Services. Fixings. Aftercare. Health and safety
- LIVING WITH EARTH MASONRY Common defects in new construction. Unusual causes of damage. Repairs and maintenance. Alterations
- THE FUTURE FOR EARTH MASONRY Earth in a sustainable construction industry. Developing manufacturing capability, Appendices: Standards; Testing procedures, References, Further reading, Useful contacts, Index